Friday, June 26

More Steampunk....

(Click photos to enlarge)

Steampunk Mixed-Media Altered Art Doll Assemblage

Approx. 13-1/2" tall



I created this piece using an unfinished miniature armoire/cabinet for the "body", which was stained, distressed and embellished with antique finish brass hardware.

The base is a wooden candlestick which was sanded, distressed and painted to look like old metal pipe fixtures.

The head was created with black Apoxie Sculpt and I purposely kept the facial features to a minimum because I didn't want it to look too human. The goggles were handmade using snaps and small rings which was fitted with copper/green iridescent film and filled with resin.


The inside features an antique thermometer. In the center is a vintage watch mechanism (with jewel bearings intact) and additional embellishments: garnet red crystal and clear acrylic gem cabochon. The background is a hand-stamped image of a ribcage on distressed paper.


The wings are wood which was painted to look like antique brass. Hinges were added and the wings can be moved for a variety of display options.





The back of the head features another vintage watch mechanism, and the back of the box displays part of a page from a vintage steam engine book which was distressed and embellished with brass tag corners & various gears.

8 comments:

  1. I just had to write and tellyou what a fantastic piece this is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ERICA!!!! This is wonderfully strange. Been missing you girlie. I am thinking you should have visited my yard sale, you would have had wonderful stuff to steampunk with... I can't take my eyes off this... Paint

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, WOW , WOW ,This is beautiful!!!!
    Blessings,Flora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paint!
    I've missed you too! Too bad I missed your yard sale, although I should probably find my studio first before I put more things in it...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erica! I've really missed out on all your amazing steampunk creations. This altered art doll is fabulous! I love your beeswax collage too! Hope all is well with you!

    Hugs,
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erica! Happy 2010! Wishing you a year full of love and creative happiness! Thanks so much for your sweet inspiration to us all!

    Hugs,
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete